Thursday, October 19, 2017

CHARLESTON + AUSTYN

We had more company!! We love when people visit us in Georgia!
 Ethan's cousin Austyn actually served her LDS Mission in South Carolina about 2 years ago and decided that this would be the perfect time to come back and visit!  Coming back now was perfect because she was able to visit us, have a place to stay and transportation and also have family here to share her mission & experiences with. Austyn flew in on a red-eye Thursday morning so after a quick shower and some food (she was too excited to sleep) she and I headed up to Columbia while Ethan was in class. The people she met and served in Colombia were some of the sweetest people. They threw her an open house with an amazing display of food & desserts for anyone who knew and loved her to come visit while she was in town. I met these people on Thursday as strangers and by Sunday when we left them they had become like family. One of the men actually hugged me, kissed my forehead, and rubbed my belly before we left. haha They fit the perfect description of Southern Hospitality to a T. This sweet grandma sent me home with an actual box full of leftovers and desserts to share with Ethan since he couldn't come. And they invited us back for Thanksgiving when they heard we would be out here without family. I'm so grateful they were apart of Austyn's mission experience and took great care of her. It was incredible how much they had grown to love this young 20-year-old girl from Utah who was just with them for a couple of months.  Honestly though, if you know her, you love her! She's just got one of those personalities that you can't help but love!!

On Friday morning we decided to take Austyn to Phinizy Swamp to get the real Southern Swamp experience. And what an experience it was!! On the start of our 2-mile trail as we were walking through the grass trail I caught the slightest movement out of the corner of my eye and low and behold there was a snake, all coiled up, head tilted back and mouth wide open ready to attack! Had I taken two more steps he would have got me! Pretty dumb on my part but I was only in sandals so he would have had free access to my bare foot or ankle. It's a good thing I had been there before because after seeing this snake I couldn't appreciate the scenery, I was too busy scanning the trail and surroundings for the next attempt from this pesky little snake. It sure made for an exciting morning at the swamp and it's always a win when you don't run into Mr. Alligator. (no matter how bad Ethan wants to). 

I love watching these two together! When I first married into the Janson clan, Austyn was one of my favorite new cousins I gained and I knew from the beginning we would have a good relationship. I love this girl like a sister!
After our outing to the Swamp, we drove a couple hours down to Charleston! Charleston was pretty similar to Savannah but had more of a colonial feel whereas Savannah was more overgrown greenery with that Southern Charm. I would recommend both towns to anyone to add to your list of must-visit destinations!  We started our visit in Charleston at the City Market. The City Market is a historic market complex in downtown Charleston established in the 1790's. The market stretches for four city blocks of a continuous series of one-story market shops. One of my favorite shops was one that Austyn and I bought new rings at. I even got my ring custom made to replace my wedding ring this last month of pregnancy due to a little swelling!
Like usual, we didn't book any walking/carriage tours because one of our favorite ways to tour a new city is to just get out and explore. We love just making our way up and down the backstreet and ally's to get the real feel for the city. Charleston is totally defined by its cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, and pastel houses. What a sight! 
We couldn't have the real Charleston experience without trying some famous Swig & Swine BBQ. One word: Awesome! If you're ever nearby, definitely give it a try! They have had visitors from literally all over the world and a fun map to display it. (see pictures)Plus you can't have a good Southern BBQ without banana pudding and luckily they have the best!! I seriously crave it anytime I think about it now...Pregnancy problems. ;)
Before leaving town we had a suggestion to visit Isle of the Palms beach and I'm glad we did. There is nothing like the east coast beaches. The sand is just so dang soft!! I'm sure we looked a little out of place and overdressed surrounded by everyone else there but it was still a relaxing afternoon at the beach and with perfect weather! 
On Sunday we decided to drive back up to Columbia for church services since everyone there just loves Austyn and wanted to see her again before she left. They even tried convincing her more than once to move back to the South and offered up their own homes. To which I kindly shook my finger no to! She's needed and back home thank you very much ;) After church we stopped by the Columbia Temple for a quick visit. Nothing like being on the temple grounds to make you feel at home. 
To sum it up, we had a great weekend with Austyn here in town and honestly think she should just drop out of school, quit her job and come live out here with us! ;) It was so great to have family out here and really just having another girl around was nice. Living on post and mostly hanging with all male soldiers can really make me crave some girl time. Plus it was fun to let her feel all of baby girls kicks and movements, yes even the hiccups! I didn't realize how much I would miss not having my family around to experience these different stages of pregnancy. Thanks for visiting Auntie Kaye!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment