Tuesday, September 26, 2017

General Women's Session

October 2017 General Women's Session 

General conferences are the semiannual worldwide gatherings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Church members gather to receive guidance and encouragement from Church leaders about gospel living based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

As this Women's session was approaching I realized it would be the first one I wouldn't be attending with my mom and sisters or mother-in-law. My first thought was that I would just stay home and watch it online. Then I told myself I HAD to go otherwise I wouldn't pay attention as well at home and wouldn't really get what I needed to out of it. So I made the decision to get out of my comfort zone and invite this other wife, Rachel, who I had just met in the branch here at Fort Gordon. I am so glad I did invite her because it was more than a spiritually uplifting night for me. It was a much-needed girls night out! I don't care who you are, you can't deny that everyone needs a GNO every once in a while.

 I believe and testify that the Lord puts certain people in your life for a reason and exactly when you need them. Being one of the few wives that came to this training and the only LDS one his group, has been harder than I expected. So when I met Rachel and her husband, it was exactly what I needed. Although Rachels husband is attending a different training here, we are so blessed to have met them. Not only do we have another LDS couple here to befriend but it just so happens that she is almost exactly two months behind me in pregnancy. I LOVE having someone else here who is pretty much going through the same experiences I am. It's definitely been a unique experience to accompany our husbands for the first time living on a military base and at the same time going through our first pregnancy. We will both be delivering here in Augusta, thousands of miles away from our families but fully relying on our supportive husbands & our Heavenly Father. And now...each other!!  

 I have met another girl, not LDS, who is my gym buddy 5 days a week. Growing up in Utah I have rarely been in the position to talk about my religion and what I believe so I have really enjoyed having this friend to share what I believe whether it's been by word or example. As well as learning about her beliefs, it's all been a little testimony builder to me.

We attended the conference at the Augusta Ward church building here in town that the Fort Gordon Branch is attached to and everyone there was so welcoming and inviting. We even found out there are more LDS wives living on base but who attend the ward instead of the branch. So now it's time to convince the husband that we should to attend the ward and not just the "10-20 headcount" branch. ;)
This women's session just really hit the spot for me. I felt like they were all talking to me and encouraging me to be a good example while living here on base. I just wanted to share a few things that stood out to me and that I want to remember. 

Sharon L. Eubanks: 
 Integrity is more important than visibility. 

BE righteous, BE articulate, BE different and BE distinct.

Neil F. Marriot:
 There is no other true & lasting happiness. 
Some things matter; most things don't
A few things last; most things won't.

The more we follow Christ, the more we feel his love & direction.

Serve when serving isn't convenient.

Joy D. Jones:
I am a Daughter of God. I am special. 

Worth vs. Worthiness
If we sin we are LESS-WORTHY but we are never WORTH-LESS.

Spiritual worth means to value ourselves the way the Heavenly Father values us, not as the world values us.

Don't compare your worst to someones best. Comparision is the thief of Joy.

Dieter F. Uchtdorf:
There are many reasons not to be sad/mad. 

Love your enemies. Our love for them is independent of their love for us.

She lived joyfully, not because her circumstances were joyful but because SHE was joyful.

Never forget: 
You are a daughter of God
Rich blessings are in store
If you but learn to do his will
You'll live with him once more.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Our Gospel lovin Gym Buddy


The first couple of days I attended the Gym out here I noticed this "crazy" old man that would dance around the gym with his eyes closed, headphones in and occasionally throwing his arms in the air praising the Lord! As each person passes him he'll fist bump them with a "God bless or God is good!" Everybody knows him...you could say he's quite popular around here. ;)

Anyways, he has pulled my friend Paula and I over to pray for us twice now. He literally stops us right there in the gym in front of everyone, makes us hold hands and bow our heads, and prays for us! It's both the weirdest and sweetest thing I've experienced out here in the South. He honestly just wants people to be happy and to share his message about God and His love for us with everyone he meets. And he's accomplishing that! No one walks past him without a smile on their face and after his prayer for us this morning, I honestly felt God's love. I don't necessarily share all the same beliefs or religion as him, but I do share the knowledge and understanding that God lives, that he loves me and he genuinely just wants me to be happy and share that message with others! This "crazy" dancing old man is a great example to me of sharing your testimony with others, no matter who it's with or where you're at. (even in a gym in Georgia) 

No comments:

Post a Comment