Saturday, October 24, 2015

Yankee Doodle Canyon

 Thursday night some of Ethan's mission companions were in town and asked us to meet up for frozen custard. You know, just to catch up on life. An hour later we found ourselves a few miles outside Leeds starting our first repel into Yankee Doodle Canyon. Now that is what I love about hanging with these friends. You never know what the night is going to turn into. One of the ring leaders Case Hoffman and his wife Madison are your total outdoorsy couple. We had such a fun time, cold, wet, and all! During the hike we did about 5 different repels and for those that know me will be proud to hear I killed it. Never chickened out and actually really enjoyed the repels. :) Most of the canyon was filled with water which we managed to stem across. However, some areas the canyon walls opened up and since there was no turning around we eventually all gave in and swam through the icy/muddy water. We had some times where the men stepped up and carried the bags and equipment through the water. At times they even carried the women...hahah  Even when the water went over their heads, they made it work. At the end of the canyon Hoffman lead us up the side of the mountain which we basically had to scramble our way to the top. I will never forget that feeling of reaching the top soaked and cold, yet so pumped! What an amazing feeling. Freezing starving and wet we made our way back into town around 1am and rewarded ourselves with an animal style burger & fries. I wish I would have counted how many times during that hike, after the hike, and the next day that we all said how amazing that was and how much fun we had. We were an awesome team! And to think it all started with some frozen custard. I can't wait until our next adventure with these awesome people!!


 Taheir (not spelled right I'm sure) is from Russia and served his mission with Ethan. He was a champ and enjoyed his first time repelling and hiking a slot canyon.  


 Madison Hoffman. One of the coolest girls! Her & I did our best to keep up with the guys and girl, I think we did it! 

 




2 comments:

  1. I heard about this adventure! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a blast! We need to get the whole gang together and do some more climbs/hikes!!

    ReplyDelete